Tau Sigma honor society awards scholarship to Kendra Henry

Kendra Henry

Western Carolina University senior Kendra Henry has been awarded a $3,000 scholarship by the Tau Sigma National Honor Society.

Henry, who is a member of the WCU chapter of Tau Sigma, will be honored at 5:30 p.m. on March 21 at the A.K. Hinds University Center during the WCU Tau Sigma induction ceremony.

Tau Sigma is an academic honor society designed to recognize and promote the academic excellence and involvement of transfer students. New transfer students who earn a 3.5 or higher GPA while enrolled full time during their first semester receive an invitation to join.

“I was very excited when I received the email stating that I had received the scholarship,” Henry said. “It was a very pleasant surprise. This scholarship shows me that my hard work and determination have been recognized by a national scholarship committee. It makes my many hours as a WCU college student feel worthwhile.”

Henry, a native of Murphy, transferred to WCU in the fall of 2015 to major in accounting and finance after spending her freshman year at Mars Hill University. She is scheduled to graduate in May.

“When I first enrolled at Western Carolina University, I was overwhelmed because I was a transfer student and didn’t know many people on campus,” Henry said. “After being inducted into Tau Sigma, I started attending the meetings and met some incredible people that were all going through the same stressful situation as me. It was great to have a network of people to talk to who helped me get involved in campus activities.”

Henry’s activities include the National Society of Leadership and Success, fundraising head of WCU Finance Club and president of Beta Alpha Psi.