‘English on the Ides’ discussion set for Oct. 11 in Sylva

The “English on the Ides” discussion series sponsored by Western Carolina University’s Department of English and City Lights Bookstore in Sylva will continue Sunday, Oct. 11, with a talk presented by Laura Wright, associate professor and head of the department.

Wright is the author of a new book, “The Vegan Studies Project.” She said her presentation, titled “Veganism and the Rhetoric of Terror: How 9/11 Shaped the Way We Eat,” will include a discussion about how the book came about. “I will focus in particular on the way that, as I wrote the book, I realized that the only reason I could conceive of something called ‘vegan studies’ was, sadly, because of 9/11,” she said.

All events in the “English on the Ides” series are held at 1 p.m. Sundays at the bookstore.

The series will conclude Oct. 25 with English professor Annette Debo presenting “Poets are Lyric Historians: The Necessary Past for African-American Poets.”

For more information about the series, contact Paul Worley at pmworley@wcu.edu or the bookstore at more@citylightsnc.com.