Road Works, Western Carolina University’s outreach program that offers free music, film and theatrical events to communities throughout the region, is going strong this summer with performances of the musical variety show “Livin’ the Dream.”
Several opportunities to see a performance are available before the final shows Saturday, June 10:
- Saturday, June 3, 2:30 p.m. at Jackson County Public Library, Sylva
- Sunday, June 4, 7 p.m. at Highlands Performing Arts Center, Highlands
- Tuesday, June 6, 5 p.m. at West Asheville Public Library, Asheville
- Friday, June 9, 2 p.m. at Haywood County Public Library, Waynesville
- Saturday, June 10, noon at Bridge Park Pavilion, Sylva; 5:30 p.m. at Biltmore Park Town Square, Asheville
The production features a cast of five student singers ― Claire Lemke, Justin Gray, Marquita Someliana, Jacob Plaisted and Keely Smith ― presenting an eclectic and exciting mix of tunes, some with musical accompaniment, said Jon Henson, WCU’s assistant director of athletic bands.
Song selections range from Michael Jackson’s “Wanna Be Starting Something” to Aerosmith’s “Dream On” and Adele’s “Someone Like You.” Other featured artists whose hits will be covered are James Brown, Justin Timberlake, Ella Fitzgerald and Pentatonix, and a couple of songs from the hit movie “Dreamgirls” are included.