Former Catamount Golfer J.T. Poston Earns PGA Tour Card

Former WCU golfer J.T. Poston displays his PGA Tour card. Photo courtesy of PGA Tour.

Based on his performance this year on the Web.com Tour, former Western Carolina men’s golfer J.T. Poston has qualified for his PGA Tour Card, it was announced last week. Poston was one of 25 golfers — 19 of which will be rookies — to secure their 2016-17 PGA Tour membership.

After beginning the season with no tour status, the Hickory, N.C., product put himself in a great position to qualify for the card with a pair of runner-up finishes this summer on the Web.com Tour. Poston was among a three-way individual playoff for the medalist honors back in early August at the Digital Ally Open in Overland Park, Kansas. Overall, his four, top 10 finishes included a pair of second-place tallies that moved him into the top 10 on the Tour money list, qualifying him for the PGA Tour card.

“This means a lot to me,” Poston recently told the Hickory Daily Record in an interview. “This has always been a dream of mine. I didn’t expect to get it this fast, but I put in the work and I had flashes from my days in college.”

Through the regular season, Poston led the Web.com Tour in scoring average over 51 rounds, averaging a Tour-low, 68.65. At the time his card was awarded, he also ranked first in par-4 scoring (3.91), third in greens in regulation percentage, fourth in birdie average (4.63).

“As the current head coach, the excitement that this brings to our program is unmatched to anything that has happened before,” said WCU second-year head coach Tim Eckberg. “I see it in our current players in the pride and respect they have for JT. They’ve followed his play this year, and I can see it how it drives them to be even better.”

Eckberg added, “As a WCU golf alum, I’m just feeling an overwhelming sense of pride. This is an accomplishment that changes the perception of this program. All former players at WCU, including myself, are now part of a program that develops PGA Tour players. It makes all of Catamount golf feel that much more special to be a part of JT Poston’s success.”

Founded in 1990, owned and operated by the PGA Tour, the Web.com Tour identifies those players who are ready to compete and win on golf’s biggest stage. As the official proving ground of the PGA Tour, three out of four PGA Tour members are Web.com Tour alumni. Its alum have won 345 PGA Tour titles, including 17 majors and five Players Championships.