Library of Congress selects WCU senior for summer internship program

WCU senior Anna Oates will participate in the Library of Congress Junior Fellows Summer Intern Program.

In January, Western Carolina University senior Anna Oates began wondering what she would do this summer before heading to graduate school.

As she searched for library internships, Oates noticed the Library of Congress Junior Fellows Summer Intern Program. With the deadline to apply for the position in Washington, D.C., just days away, Oates applied for three positions. She recently learned she was chosen to work in the Library Services Music Division.

“I never thought it feasible to get the position, but I applied hoping I would without getting my hopes up,” said Oates, an English major with a concentration in literature who will graduate Saturday, May 7. “I applied to the fellowship out of the blue. I wasn’t expecting anything from it, so being considered was just an honor, and when I actually got the position, I didn’t know what to do. I emailed all of my professors who had helped me with the process. They were less surprised than I was.”

Oates, who is from Wilson, will work with her project mentor to perform a collections assessment of, create an inventory for, and create a curated list of priorities for digitization and access for the moving image assets received in the ongoing acquisitions from the American Ballet Theatre. She also will assist in transferring audio-visual materials to the Packard Campus, and co-author a document for the division on the priorities and workflows for handling audio-visual materials within dance acquisitions, and for forecasting uses of the materials for scholarly, teaching and public programming access.

The icing on the cake for Oates is that she will be working with a collection from the American Ballet Theatre.

“That’s really, really awesome for me because I’ve been involved in theater most of my life,” Oates said. “I’m a dance minor. I think that’s what helped my candidacy.”

The paid internship begins May 31 and will run through Aug. 5. Following her internship, Oates will attend graduate school. Although she hasn’t chosen a graduate school yet, Oates said she was offered a position at the University of Illinois, “which is the top school for information and library science,” Oates said.