WCU SGA president notes top priority for academic year

During his first two years as a member of Western Carolina University’s Student Government Association, Hank Henderson saw what it was like for others to serve one-year terms as SGA president.

He often wondered what it would be like to serve more than one term. Having been elected the 2015-16 president for his junior year, Henderson hopes he gets the opportunity to find out because he believes the SGA is at a point where it could use some stability.

“I think I’ll be able to help transition into next year and have a longer goal than just one year in what we plan to do,” he said.

Hank Henderson

Hank Henderson

Henderson, an entrepreneurship major from Marietta, Georgia, said his top priority is to take the students’ voice to upper administration. “I want to do a better job of reaching out to students and get their voice on certain matters, and then having people in the right positions on committees to let their voice be heard,” he said.

Henderson said he first became involved in student government in high school. He joined SGA as a freshman at WCU and last year served as director of service learning. He chose to come to WCU mainly because of its entrepreneurship program.

“I decided I didn’t want just a normal business degree,” Henderson said. “I wanted something in the business school, but different on my resume. It always interested me to know the whole aspect of business. I plan on eventually working for a start-up, or starting my own company. But right out of school, I’d like to just work for a big company and kind of learn the way before trying it on my own.”

This summer, Henderson got a chance to study abroad, taking a “Psychology and Crime” class in Florence, Italy, before vacationing in Santorini, Greece. Now, he’s excited about returning to life in Cullowhee.

“I’m really excited to start the new year,” he said. “I think it’s going to be a great year, not just for the students, but the alumni and everybody involved with Western. I think we’re on the up an up.”