Women’s Studies Program sponsors Sexual Empowerment Week
This article features an event that occurred in the past.
Western Carolina University’s Women’s Studies Program will host events from Monday, Feb. 4, through Thursday, Feb. 7, designed to help participants gain knowledge to help them develop healthy intimate relationships.
Sexual Empowerment Week activities ranging from question-and-answer sessions to a book discussion will be held in A.K. Hinds University Center and are free and open to the public.
Marilyn Chamberlin, director of women’s studies, said relationships, sexuality and gender identity topics surface in class discussions, and those discussions led to planning a week of events that would offer accurate, comprehensive information on those topics.
“We want participants to explore information that is usually presented either in bits and pieces or presented inaccurately – information that can help them learn more about their sexual interests and identity, where they fit in and how to develop safer, healthier intimate relationships,” said Chamberlin.
Scheduled events include:
- A question-and-answer session titled “All You Ever Wanted to Know About Sex but Didn’t Learn in High School” to be held in the UC Multipurpose Room from 7 to 9 p.m. Monday, Feb. 4;
- A session titled “Healthy Relationships” in the UC Multipurpose Room from 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 5;
- A session titled “Safe Sex” in the UC Multipurpose Room from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 6;
- An informational fair to be held in the UC Grandroom from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 7;
- A book discussion titled “Shades of Grey: The Reality” in the UC Grandroom from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 7.
For more information, contact Chamberlin at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-227-3839.