The fall Family Weekend at Western Carolina University will be Friday, Sept. 30, through Sunday, Oct. 2.
The Family Weekend, sponsored by the WCU Family Association, is a way for families to celebrate the accomplishments of their university students.
“We feel that it is important to give families an opportunity to spend a weekend on campus with their students,” said Shawna Young, WCU’s director of outreach and assessment. “Many association members are families of first-year students, so this is an opportunity for them to meet their student’s new friends and get to know their student’s version of WCU.”
Family Weekend activities include a family fun night, a pregame party on WCU’s new central plaza with Chancellor David O. Belcher and wife Susan Brummell Belcher, a football game and tailgating, Sunday brunch and a rafting trip. Information sessions about how best to support students, student living-learning opportunities and more will be held Saturday.
Check-in for the weekend will be from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Friday on the lawn of the A.K. Hinds University Center and from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Saturday in the UC Grandroom. Families will be able to pick up a schedule for the weekend, tickets for events, campus maps and other information.
A full schedule of Family Weekend activities follows:
Friday, Sept. 30
- “Cars 2,” 6 p.m., 9 p.m. and midnight, UC theater, $4 ($2 students). Intrigue ensues when racecar Lightning McQueen (Owen Wilson) and tow truck Mater (Larry the Cable Guy) head overseas to compete in the first-ever World Grand Prix to determine the world’s fastest car.
- Family Fun Night, 6:30-9 p.m., Cat’s Den in the old Brown Cafeteria. Featuring arcade games, pool tables, air hockey, darts and more. Refreshments available.
Saturday, Oct. 1
- “Supporting Your Student: Knowing What to Do and When,” 10:30-11 a.m., UC Grandroom. Learn how to support your college student in helping him or her grow into a capable, independent adult.
- Western Carolina PEAKS Open House, 10:30-11:30 a.m., UC Grandroom. Learn about the living-learning communities created for first-year students.
- “EXTREMES: Success in the Sophomore and Junior Years,” 11:00-11:30 a.m., UC Grandroom. Learn how to help your student stay on track and gain the experience they need to be successful in their job search during their senior year.
- Family Association Leadership meeting, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., UC Grandroom. For Family Association members interested in learning more about Family Association activities and plans for the upcoming year.
- “Pregame on the Plaza,” 1:30-3:30 p.m., central plaza. Lunch from a hot dog bar (vegetarian options also available) with Chancellor Belcher.
- Tailgating sponsored by Student Affairs, 3-5:30 p.m., stadium lot. Featuring stunner shades, the Cannon Blast and corn hole. Birthday cake for Paws from 4:30-5:30 p.m.
- WCU Catamounts vs. Furman, 6 p.m., E.J. Whitmire Stadium/Bob Waters Field. For ticket information, call the WCU athletics ticket office at 800-34-GOWCU or 828-227-2401.
- “Cars 2,” 6 p.m. and 9 p.m., UC theater, $4 ($2 students). Intrigue ensues when racecar Lightning McQueen (Owen Wilson) and tow truck Mater (Larry the Cable Guy) head overseas to compete in the first-ever World Grand Prix to determine the world’s fastest car.
- Beach party, 8 p.m.-1 a.m., UC lawn. Foam pit, live disc jockey, water inflatables.
Sunday, Oct. 2
- Breakfast/brunch beginning at 8 a.m. at the Courtyard Dining Hall. Continental breakfast from 8-9 a.m. with full breakfast beginning at 9 a.m.
- Rafting with Base Camp Cullowhee, beginning at 10 a.m., $30 per person. Join our outdoor adventure program on a rafting trip down the Nantahala River. Register and learn more by visiting Base Camp Cullowhee’s office, located in the old Brown Cafeteria, or by calling 828-227-3633.