Western Carolina University faculty, staff, students and community members will combine their efforts on Saturday, Oct. 25, for Make a Difference Day. Participating in seven projects in Jackson, Macon and Haywood counties, volunteers will assist a variety of organizations.
• Mountain Projects Inc.: Volunteers will help with “Save the Warmth,” a weatherization assistance project, preparing senior citizens’ homes in Haywood and Jackson counties for the winter.
• REACH of Macon County: Volunteers will paint and help with general maintenance at the domestic violence shelter for women and children who need a safe haven and a new start after an abusive situation.
• United Christian Ministries of Jackson County: An interdenominational crisis ministry, UCM helps Jackson County residents who have urgent physical, economic, social and spiritual needs. Volunteers will help unload a frozen food delivery truck and unpack boxes at the First Presbyterian Church in Sylva.
• Assuring Better Child Health and Development: ABCD is designed to prepare children to enter kindergarten healthy, motivated and ready to succeed. Volunteers will dig a trench and install a drain to reduce flooding at the agency’s office in Sylva. They also will prepare sections of the building for painting.
• Jackson County Family Resource Center: Located in Webster, the agency provides day care to parents on Saturday mornings, helping to prevent child abuse and neglect of high-risk children. Volunteers will assist with supervising the children, playing games and working on projects.
• Streets of Franklin’s Pumpkin Fest: An annual event in downtown Franklin, the festival will need volunteers to supervise various activities throughout the day, such as a pumpkin roll, pie-eating contest, costume contest and parade.
• Jackson County Recreation and Parks Department’s Halloween Festival: Volunteers will help set up for the event, pitching tents, preparing inflatable rides and handling decorations.
WCU has participated since 2003 in Make a Difference Day, an annual national day of helping others initiated by “USA Weekend” magazine.
For more information, contact WCU’s Center for Service Learning by phone at (828) 227-7184 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.