Alumna Beth Lofquist named associate provost

Western Carolina University alumna Beth Tyson Lofquist, associate vice chancellor for academic affairs, has been named the university’s associate provost.

Beth Lofquist

Beth Lofquist

Provost Kyle Carter said the title change, effective Monday, Sept. 15, reflects Lofquist’s increasing responsibility within the Office of the Provost, which oversees every aspect of academics at WCU.

“The university is in great transition, including realigning the responsibility and authority of the deans to be the chief academic officers of their colleges and schools,” said Carter. “As I assume a greater leadership role for the entire academic affairs division, I find that I rely more and more on Dr. Lofquist to oversee areas formerly under my purview as well as represent me when commitments conflict. She has done a great job in both filling in for me as well as overseeing and leading areas assigned to her.”

As associate vice chancellor for academic affairs since 2005, Lofquist (pictured) oversees curriculum development; the faculty reappointment, tenure and promotion process; course evaluations; professional development for department heads; the associate deans council; the director of the Coulter Faculty Center; the academic calendar; the Visiting Scholars Program; new faculty orientation; and publication of the undergraduate catalog and faculty handbook. Her responsibilities also now include oversight of residential summer sessions.

Lofquist joined WCU as a full-time faculty member in 1993 and served as head of the department of birth through kindergarten, elementary and middle grades education from 2002 to 2005.

She holds three degrees from Western – a bachelor’s degree in early childhood education, a master’s degree in early childhood education, and an educational specialist degree in intermediate education. She earned her doctorate in curriculum and teaching from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro in 1997.